Skip to main content

Island of Barbuda & it’s history

Barbuda is a small island located in the east Caribbean. Barbuda is one of the two islands that are a part of the Caribbean nation of Antigua and Barbuda. The island has a moderate tropical climate with a small population of just around 1,600 residents. The island gained its independence on November 1st, 1981 and was declared as a constitutional monarchy under the Commonwealth of Nations. During the Stone Age, the people who inhabited the island were Ciboney in about 2400 BC.  From around 35 AD and 1100 AD the island was inhabited by the Arawak people who were the first to farm the land until Carib Indians drove them out and took over. https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1uZfgfRUvNJzZmGpd0R9naAM7LItsar0A 
Christopher Columbus was the first European to notice Barbuda in the year 1493. The French and English created a colony after Spanish settlers in 1666. The town of Codrington, currently the most populous town in Barbuda, was founded by brothers John and Christopher Codrington in 1685. In the mid 1700s there were slave rebellions leading up til 1834 when all the slaves on the island were freed. In 2007, the Barbuda land act was put in forth making developmental projects require citizen approval due to it being communally owned land.https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1aAHgDHeytXOGCaoEUGvQ8469lA-CUkA4 
On September 6th, 2017 hurricane Irma made landfall on the small island and brought great calamity with it. Almost all of the islands existing structures and vehicles were terribly damaged by the ravaging hurricane winds and water. Today, the island still grapples with the aftermath of hurricane Irma with around seventy-five percent of its previous residents returning to the island to places where electricity and water is in tact. The islands’ culture is a unique blend of English settler culture and African slave culture. Calypso music, first introduced as a way for African slaves to make contact with each other during the 1700s when it was forbid. The island is also home to some of the finest cricket players in the world. 

Sources: 


adoption island list:
  • Martinique
  • Belize
  • St. Lucia

Comments

  1. I like how you threw in some facts about the a land act, and cricket players! That was something I was unaware of! You should try naming a few of them on your blog! I was also surprised that they were still dealing with aftermath of hurricane Irma! Great job on adding in this facts and writing over 300 words!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Reflection

I feel as if my blog meets most of the rubric criteria but I do believe that I could have optimized the format of my blog to be read more easily and grab attention effectively.  Making my blog to be more aesthetically pleasing is something I feel that I have slacked on due to my unfamiliarity with blogger.  One of the aspects of blog creation that causes me to stress is the idea that my content can be perfectly up to speed but if the delivery of the content isn’t optimized properly, it could cause me to lose points. I believe I’m putting my best efforts into these blog creations although I do have proclivities toward procrastination which can be incredibly frustrating.  I try to review my blog posts to make sure I didn’t make any big mistakes in relation to either the grammar of the content or the formation of the blog post. When it comes to being comfortable with others reading my writing, I don’t particularly care if others read my blogs and peer-review them. As this class is mostly