Skip to main content

Reading Caribe Gris


  • Reading the translation of Caribe Gris was a bit of a challenge. It wasn’t that it was especially hard to read, it was that it was hard to understand the main idea. 
  • Originally, I had thought that the main idea was even though Columbus was factually and morally incorrect while recounting the events of his voyage in his journal, it still became an influential piece of history that can be examined and learn from today.
  • While I still believe this idea to be central to the texts, I believe the main idea now to be that Columbus’s false account of his voyages led to the fruition of new prejudices in society regarding native culture. https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=13bupCmmvYPntlfQPKpPuREDwLE09HMgY

  • The reason why I changed my views on the main idea is that I thought to myself that the journal probably was the first account of contact with indigenous people from these islands for many people and many incorrect assumptions about the people and their culture were based on this account. https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1pnnQeT5mkqWMMj9DNfkSq4rOByOH-VRg

  • The ideas about the natives that Columbus propagates in his journeys regarding the Taíno Indians surely led to scores of people believing the natives to be far less advanced and civilized than they actually were.

Comments

  1. I also feel the same way about reading La Caribe Gris! I couldn't have said it any better! You really are a natural writer!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Island of Barbuda & it’s history

Barbuda is a small island located in the east Caribbean. Barbuda is one of the two islands that are a part of the Caribbean nation of Antigua and Barbuda. The island has a moderate tropical climate with a small population of just around 1,600 residents. The island gained its independence on November 1st, 1981 and was declared as a constitutional monarchy under the Commonwealth of Nations. During the Stone Age, the people who inhabited the island were Ciboney in about 2400 BC.  From around 35 AD and 1100 AD the island was inhabited by the Arawak people who were the first to farm the land until Carib Indians drove them out and took over.    Christopher Columbus was the first European to notice Barbuda in the year 1493. The French and English created a colony after Spanish settlers in 1666. The town of Codrington, currently the most populous town in Barbuda, was founded by brothers John and Christopher Codrington in 1685. In the mid 1700s there were slave rebellions leading ...